Together we nurture the genius in everyone
Friday 20th March 2020
The new @Alex newsletter is advertised every Friday.
Class information letters
The class information pages and weekly information are updated every MONDAY on our school website. Diary dates, reminders, information on the class learning and details of the home learning are all accessed using the links below.
**Please check the school website for events, dates, club information before telephoning the school office.**
This website can be translated into many languages please click on the icon that looks like the WORLD at the top of the page
Thank you for reading @ALEX we hope you find it useful. @ALEX, our weekly email newsletter, will go out via Parentmail on Thursday/ Friday. Download the School News App for your smartphone featuring all the latest news and calendar events from school.
School Twitter @AlexandraschKT School Facebook Page
Version suitable for using the Translate Button within our website.
Friday 20th March
Message from Mr. Waiting
Dear Parents and Carers
It has been a very strange week at Alexandra and I have hugely missed seeing your children at school. I am grateful for the many comments we have received about the Home Learning Projects and the efforts that children are making to engage with the activities. It is lovely to know that our community is active and continuing to apply themselves even when working remotely from school.
This week we have tried to enhance the newsletter for families to enjoy together. If you would like to share your experiences with the school we would love to hear your thoughts - please email the school office. We will also be looking to introduce more interactive content over the next few weeks - Mr Bateman is going to upload exercise videos for families to try at home – a little competition for Joe Wicks – Senorita Mallol will share her own Spanish clips to help with vocabulary and I am also hoping to record some stories which can be played aloud with the children. We will keep you updated and continue to send out links through ParentMail.
Keep in touch and let us know what you have been enjoying and learning about this week.
9.00 The Bodycoach PE lesson live on YouTube
11.00 David Walliams reads a story live every day www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/elevenses
3.30pm Superhero Fit on Facebook Live /OURPARKS One of our dads, Born, leads you and your children through a fitness routine along with his 3 kids
A big happy birthday to the following children who have celebrated their birthdays this week!
Dominik B from Ducklings
Kyla M from Kestrels
Erin W from Ducklings
Fred A from Skylarks
Shayan I from Skylarks
Lara B from Caterpillars
Ayush B from Swallows
Ruman N from Kestrels
Georgia P from Kestrels
Encouraging Reading During the School Closures
We understand that with the schools and libraries closed it may become difficult to replenish your children’s books as frequently as you would like. Below are some ideas and resources to help make sure your child has enough to read and keep them engaged with books during this tricky time. I hope it is helpful.
- is offering a range of free audio books to children, for as long as the closures last – no sign up required.
- A range of free audio books are available from the Oxford Owl website. As a parent, you just need to provide an email address and make an account, this is free and takes only a moment. Your child can then choose from a range of audio stories, perfect for evenings or a break from screen time.
- The World Book Day website also has a small range of audiobooks available at no cost.
- David Walliams is offering a free story a day at 11am.
- There are a small range of printed stories for a range of ages, some with pictures available.
- Read on screen print novels by authors such as Eva Ibbotson and Michael Morpurgo here.
- For the Y5 and Y6 readers, here are a few links to PDFs of some suitable and excellent books your child might like to read: Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, Charlotte’s Web by E B White and Holes by Loui Sacher
- First News subscriptions are £1 for the first 3 issues (You can cancel after that if you do not wish to pay the increased fees)
- Nat Geo Kids magazine subscription
- Poetry for children
White Rose Maths Home Learning
White Rose Maths follows our school curriculum closely. They have made a number of resources free while schools are off.
There are many resources on the internet that are currently free. Here are a few you may find particularly helpful:
Use code: UKTWINKLHELPS for a free month
Free until the end of April
White Rose maths home learning – this complements the school curriculum closely
Audible Stories for children is free for as long as schools are closed
BBC Bitesize will be updating content daily
Art for Kids Hub – a great art resource for your kids to follow
The Body Coach – Joe Wicks will be hosting a 30 minute PE session every morning at 9am
National Geographic Kids – a fantastic learning resource about the natural world