Establishing lifelong learning: rooted in knowledge, enriched by experience
Healthy Schools Award
Healthy Schools London
We all want to help our children stay healthy and happy as they grow up. In this context, what happens at school every day is really important.
Schools can help children lead a healthy lifestyle directly – to make healthy food choices at lunchtime, to be active at and on the way to school. More widely, schools can help children learn about their health, and develop their motivation and self respect to make healthy choices.
The benefits go beyond health. We know that when children are healthy and happy at school, they can achieve more.
Healthy Schools London is a new programme that will help schools to go further, and get more schools involved. The award scheme sponsored by the Mayor of London recognises and celebrates schools that are making a difference for their pupils and helps London’s children to be healthy, happy and achieve.
This year, we reviewed our practice in promoting health and wellbeing and were successful in achieving Healthy Schools London – Silver Award (up from a Bronze award last year). We were inspected in the following areas:
- Leadership, management and managing change
- Policy development
- Learning and teaching, curriculum planning and resourcing
- School ethos, culture and environment
- Provision of support services for children and young people
- Staff continuing professional development (CPD), health and well-being
- Partnerships with parents and carers, the local community, external agencies and volunteers